We understand that it’s difficult to orientate yourself as a student in a new city when things are different from normal. Going out for dinner, hosting a house party or having some drinks at a bar, it will all have to wait for a while, but that doesn't mean there is nothing else to do! We would like to make you feel at home in Venlo and therefore give you some nice tips.
Even though we are quite used to working from home and the associated online classes and meetings, there is more to explore online! Did you know about all of the fun games you can play with and against your friends? We did a tour of the web and came across some fun, (free) online games that we would like to share with you:
Enjoy the wintery landscapes and take some beautiful pictures in the meantime. The North of Limburg has to offer a lot o beautiful nature!
- The Jammerdal is one of the most beautiful places in Venlo. Go Look for chestnuts or have a nice picnic by the water. This place is magical!
- De Groote Heide between Venlo and the German border there is this place called De Groote heide, With 250 hectares of nature you will always come across something special. You can spot gliders, wild life and a lot of cute dogs going for a walk!
- Het Zwarte water is located against the village of Velden, which is part of the municipality of Venlo. Go for a Walk around the lake and you've already had your share of exercise for the day.
- Walk between the villages of Baarlo and Velden in one long nature line along the Maas through the urban area of Venlo. Who knows, you might spot some Galloway cattle because they graze this area.
In order not to feel alone in your new hometown, it’s important to bond with fellow students. That's why student associations do everything they can to make you feel at home and come up with fun (online) corona-proof events.
We have listed all the student and study associations in Venlo:
Especially now it is extra important to keep moving and take good care of yourself. But now that team sports are unfortunately not allowed, we have to improvise to stay fit and healthy. Take a break in time and make sure you keep moving enough in addition to a full day of online lessons behind your laptop. For example, you can:
- Running in the fresh air
- Yoga in your student room
- Fitness exercises via a free app or YouTube tutorials
- Skipping rope
- Cycling through the forest
- Walking in your neighborhood
Shop and order locally
In these crazy times it is important that we support each other. But also support the local shops and restaurants! So treat yourself to a new outfit, shoes or gifts and buy locally! Just like Anne. She bought her new headphones in Tegelen, a village of the municipality of Venlo.
Follow us on Instagram @checkvenlo to stay up-to-date! Any questions? Send us a dm!